Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Suck for Luck: handicapping the contenders

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Default Suck for Luck: handicapping the contenders

Like it or not, it's going to be one of the big sub-plots of this year's NFL season. May as well have a look.

THE FRONTRUNNERS

Indianapolis Colts 2:1 -- The Texans left them shivering in a puddle of rapetears, and the whole house of cards could be poised to collapse. In addition to missing Captain Endorsement, they also lost their best coaches over the off-season, OL coach Howard Mudd and OC Tom Moore. Those guys were highly underrated cogs in the Indy machine-- HC Jim Caldwell is a flunky by comparison. If the bolts in Manning's neck don't get the job done, this officially looks like the end of an era, which could leave them in prime position to grab the supposed Next Great Thing.

Miami Dolphins 5:2 -- Chad Henne is their QB, and Reggie Bush is supposed to be their starting running back. Their other back is already dinged up. Yea. And they play in a nasty division-- Buffalo should surpass them this year. They just suck, flat out. They were ready to transition regimes this year, but brought back the lamest possible duck when they couldn't get their guy. Next year they'll inevitably throw a dumptruck of cash at some big name like Cowher to come rebuild around a high first round QB-- the only question is whether it's Luck or one of the others.

Seattle Seahawks 3:1 -- Tarvaris Jackson's going to get it done behind that line. . . with those "weapons?" Yea, no. They're going to get killed. A weak division's the only thing that might save them, and the only reason they're longer odds than Miami. If Pete Carrol wants to stick in the NFL this time, he's going to have to get serious about finding an answer at QB pretty soon. Jackson still has some upside, but the odds of him developing into a QB you can go deep into the playoffs with are slimmer than a bulemic meth-head.

THE FIELD

Cleveland Browns 9:1 -- They reportedly like Colt McCoy's potential, but he's just not the type of talent that makes you pass on a player like Luck. Losing to the Bengals is a very discouraging sign in a division that also has Pitt and Baltimore. These guys don't have anything close to the wideouts needed to field a legit NFL passing attack, and it's going to be tough for them to be competitive. They could easily be near the top of the draft. Of course, with their luck (hehe), they'll end up picking second with Miami at number one.

Oakland Raiders 10:1 -- Probably lost whatever slight momentum they were building when they fired their coach and lost a handful of key players to free agency. Jason Campbell is the white Kyle Orton, and Pryor is a project who might get moved to wide receiver. This franchise needs a player like Luck the way most people need booty. Winnable division games and a few big weeks from McFadden could prove to be their worst enemy.

Kansas City Chiefs 21:2 -- Getting beat the **** down by Buffalo-- at home-- is rarely an indicator of good things to come. Haley may as well have saved them the trouble and just fired Weiss instead of himself-- Fat Charley propping up Sand Cassel was the only thing keeping that franchise afloat. Weiss will probably be back as the HC next year. Maybe they'll see if he can re-invent Cassel again, but they might have to David Garrard him if Luck's available. That contract is almost impossible to justify.

Denver Broncos 14:1 -- I honestly think we're more likely to be in the suck for Barkley-Lindley-whoever range, worst case scenario, but we at least gotta make the list with our record from last year and our QB situation being what it is. Elway is the wildcard. How much does he really believe in Tebow? If this season does go south, a QB phenom from Stanford might be hard for the Duke to pass up.

Minnesota Vikings 17:1 -- Their offense is Adrian Peterson and one skinny receiver with migraines. That O-line's going to fall off a cliff sometime soon, and the defense is no longer good enough to carry the load consistently. They could easily be the doormat of a tough division this year. The investment in Ponder obviously makes them less likely candidates, but don't kid yourself-- they'd trade his ass in a heartbeat if they found themselves in position to land such a superior prospect.

Cincinnati Bengals 20:1 -- Same situation as Minnesota. Not top candidates, but they could still be in the running with a few bad breaks. Andy Dalton simply isn't a player you pass on Luck for-- Mike Brown may be painfully cheap, but that certainly doesn't mean he's stupid enough to turn down a potential gold mine if someone happens to offer him one.

Jacksonville Jaguars 22:1 -- They could be ****ed if this proves to be the year Jones-Drew's knees cry uncle. I bet Luke McCown is fully capable of stinking up the joint worse than Kerry Collins, even if their defense can never be quite as spectacularly bad as Indy's might this year. They'd trade Gabbert in a hot minute for the lifeline that a potential Manning-like prospect could provide.

San Francisco 49ers 25:1 -- Probably good enough in a bad division to be out of the picture without a few bad breaks, but they're not exactly New England or Pittsburgh. Alex Smith will finally run out of lives in SF this year, and Kaepernik is an intersting project with a lot of upside, at best. I can't see Harbaugh passing on the chance to have Luck at the next level if the opportunity did arise.

DARKHORSES

Washington Redskins 40:1 -- Unlikely that a Shanahan team finishes in the running without a few significant injuries, but Mike is aggressive enough to make a bold move if he is in range. The wheels might come off once the league gets some film of Rexy in the Shenanigans system, but I expect them to stake themselves to enough wins early to be out of it. They're at least worth mentioning, though-- that division is flat nasty, you can get beat down if you slip. And you're always looking to improve when you have the QBs they do.

Detroit Lions 50:1 -- Plain and simple-- another injury to Stafford could be their entry ticket into this lottery. They're not in it as long as he stays healthy. They are only a year removed from a four-win campaign, though, and have historically been a snakebit franchise. If Matt's shoulder gets explosed this year, they could potentially find themselves back in the dumpster, scrambling for his replacement.

Dallas Cowboys 70:1 -- Obviously looks wildly unlikely on the surface. But with an otherwise very talented roster, could notorious gambler and egomaniac Jerruh Jones be prodded into giving up a reverse-Herschel type deal if he becomes convinced that Romo just isn't good enough to consistently compete with the big boy teams? Probably not, but you need at least one outlier to set the parameters. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

2. The Following 8 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

These teams are the real contenders. If Denver takes any QB it will be later in the draft since its a deep draft at that position.

Indianapolis Colts 2:1 -- The Texans left them shivering in a puddle of rapetears, and the whole house of cards could be poised to collapse. In addition to missing Captain Endorsement, they also lost their best coaches over the off-season, OL coach Howard Mudd and OC Tom Moore. Those guys were highly underrated cogs in the Indy machine-- HC Jim Caldwell is a flunky by comparison. If the bolts in Manning's neck don't get the job done, this officially looks like the end of an era, which could leave them in prime position to grab the supposed Next Great Thing.

Miami Dolphins 5:2 -- Chad Henne is their QB, and Reggie Bush is supposed to be their starting running back. Their other back is already dinged up. Yea. And they play in a nasty division-- Buffalo should surpass them this year. They just suck, flat out. They were ready to transition regimes this year, but brought back the lamest possible duck when they couldn't get their guy. Next year they'll inevitably throw a dumptruck of cash at some big name like Cowher to come rebuild around a high first round QB-- the only question is whether it's Luck or one of the others.

Seattle Seahawks 3:1 -- Tarvaris Jackson's going to get it done behind that line. . . with those "weapons?" Yea, no. They're going to get killed. A weak division's the only thing that might save them, and the only reason they're longer odds than Miami. If Pete Carrol wants to stick in the NFL this time, he's going to have to get serious about finding an answer at QB pretty soon. Jackson still has some upside, but the odds of him developing into a QB you can go deep into the playoffs with are slimmer than a bulemic meth-head.

San Francisco 49ers 25:1 -- Probably good enough in a bad division to be out of the picture without a few bad breaks, but they're not exactly New England or Pittsburgh. Alex Smith will finally run out of lives in SF this year, and Kaepernik is an intersting project with a lot of upside, at best. I can't see Harbaugh passing on the chance to have Luck at the next level if the opportunity did arise.

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

I don't see it bein Indy. I get the logic, but they can't get Jonny U, John Elway (drafted) Manning and now Luck.....
    I think the Texans are a good team and Indy win win5-6 games.

Thanks MasterShake!!!

If Denver is serious about addressing the QB position and is in a position to do so, it would be a huge mistake and the talent that could be available.

I am not at all interested in a mid range player ala Brian Griese or some mid level player in the mid rounds. Get one of the top 3 if the opprtunity presents itself.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived silkamilkamonico For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

Here is the Colts 2011 schedule

Sun, Sep 11

Houston Texans @ Houston (1-0)
    Cleveland Browns vs Cleveland (0-1) possible win
    Pittsburgh Steelers vs Pittsburgh (0-1)
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Tampa Bay (0-1) possible win
    Kansas City Chiefs vs Kansas City (0-1) possible win
    Cincinnati Bengals @ Cincinnati (1-0) possible win
    New Orleans Saints @ New Orleans (0-1)
    Tennessee Titans @ Tennessee (0-1) possible win
    Atlanta Falcons vs Atlanta (0-1)
    Jacksonville Jaguars vs Jacksonville (1-0) possible win
    Carolina Panthers vs Carolina (0-1) possible win
    New England Patriots @ New England (0-0)
    Baltimore Ravens @ Baltimore (1-0)
    Tennessee Titans vs Tennessee (0-1) possible win
    Houston Texans vs Houston (1-0)
    Jacksonville Jaguars @ Jacksonville (1-0) possible win

I see 9 possible wins, so 4-6 wins I would call realistic. That wont win the 1st pick

Thanks MasterShake!!!

Without Manning, I don't see Indy beating anyone, with the exception of maybe a lucky win or 2 the entire season.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived silkamilkamonico For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Without Manning, I don't see Indy beating anyone, with the exception of maybe a lucky win or 2 the entire season.
    I think that is too much of a conclusion from one game

Thanks MasterShake!!!

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighCrew View Post
    I don't see it bein Indy. I get the logic, but they can't get Jonny U, John Elway (drafted) Manning and now Luck.....
    I think the Texans are a good team and Indy win win5-6 games.
    you can certainly argue it either way-- after all, this is ridiculously early to start this discussion. . . major projection at this stage. . .

indy does have some talent-- reggie wayne and dallas clark, dwight freeney and robert mathis, etc. . . however, their O-line is flat turrible (manning's brilliance hid an ocean of flaws, that's about to be exposed as a CFL line), they can't run to save their lives, and the defense is tiny. . . teams will try to run on that dinky front every single week, and it's going to get worn down badly-- which is when guys start getting hurt, and they end up starting street free agents because they have no depth back there. . .

who would you rank ahead of them, and why?
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

If I read "Colts wont win a game" or "Andrew Luck" one more time, I believe i'll be ill

14. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    If I read "Colts wont win a game" or "Andrew Luck" one more time, I believe i'll be ill
    never said they won't win a game. . .

who you got?
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighCrew View Post
    I think that is too much of a conclusion from one game
    I dont think they will go winless but i sure dont see them winning 8 or 9 games either.

17. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Coach, the Colts are literally one of the worst teams without Manning.

They had to score 28 points a game just to be in it with those awful defenses.

Reggie Wayne is the only beastly threat that offense has. Watch how little Dallas Clark does without Manning. Gonzo, Garcon, Collie and Blair White aren't trash wideouts, but they're closer to pedestrian than they are above average.

IF Manning is done for the year, they're a 4 win team tops.

As far as Andrew Luck goes, he's a stud. I think there's a lot of hyperbole thrown around about him, but this is what fans do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

19. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I think they can win at least 5. I think Seattle and Cleveland certainly challenge for a worse record and we may add Buffalo and KC to that list.

I could be wrong, though

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I dont think they will go winless but i sure dont see them winning 8 or 9 games either.
    I don't see 8-9 either, I see 4-6. I say it is possible to win 9, but they won't win all of those.

Thanks MasterShake!!!

23. The Following User High Fived MileHighCrew For This Post:

How can they win five games when they don't do anything well?

I watched that abortion of a game, and it was embarrassing. They can't run the ball, they can't run a high paced offense, they can't effectively dictate anything on offense. Kerry Collins who in his own right is a smart veteran QB looks lost out there, and the best hope they have is Curtis Painter.

The Seahawks played better football than the Colts did on week one.

I am a person who is prone to hyperbole to prove a point, but the Colts played one of the worst games I've seen in my life. At the start of the game the Texans gave them a shot in the arm with an INT, and the Colts couldn't do anything with that momentum.

They may not have more than a win in the 8 weeks that Manning is supposed to be out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information